Going Plastic Free
We all contribute to the plastic waste problem, so we should all contribute to the solution. While recycling is a good thing to do, to truly tackle this problem we must reduce the amount of plastic we are creating in the first place. In this blog post, we encourage you to speak with your wallet and stop purchasing single-use plastics.
The first step to going plastic free is to understand why this issue is so important. In today’s world, plastics are everywhere — but did you know that every piece of plastic ever created still exists today? Plastic never truly biodegrades; it only breaks up into smaller pieces which can cause a huge problem in our environment. Microscopic organisms can ingest these tiny pieces of plastic and then up the food chain it goes. Larger animals like birds, turtles, and whales can directly ingest plastic too, or become entangled in it.
Below you will find a range of alternative products from beauty supplies to reusable lunch boxes and straws that can help you to reduce your environmental footprint. All of these items can either be found at Pacific Whale Foundation’s Ocean Stores on Maui, or we have provided links where you can purchase the item online.
Lunch and Kitchen Products
- Bees Wax Wraps: replace plastic cling wrap with this eco-friendly fabric dipped in beeswax.
- ECOlunchbox: bento containers of various sizes to keep your lunch and snacks fresh and plastic free.
- Blue Water Bento Lunch Bags: organic cotton lunch bags featuring turtles or whales.
- Bamboo utensil travel set: bring this eco-conscious utensil set with you and never have to use plastic to-go-ware again.
- Reusable straws: we use over 500 million straws in America alone per day, you can reduce that waste with these straws in either bamboo or stainless steel.
- H2Go water bottle: get rid of those cases of plastic water bottles by switching to a reusable insulated bottle found in several colors and sizes.
- Bamboo toothbrush: an eco-friendly and compostable brushing alternative.
- David’s toothpaste: an all-natural ingredient toothpaste in a recyclable aluminum tube.
- Dental Lace: silk string dental floss in a refillable glass container.
- Plaine Products: an aluminum bottle, all-natural, refillable service for shampoo, conditioner, body wash and body lotion to help reduce that plastic container waste.
- Besame Mascara Cake: a solid state mascara in a tin compact so you can get rid of those plastic tubes.
Remember to #ReuseorRefuse and sign our pledge to use alternatives to plastic products.
Didn’t see your favorite product listed? Leave us a comment and tell us what sustainable product you’d love to see featured in the future!