- Mission & Vision
- Our Core Values
- PWF in The Media
- Board of Directors
- Social Media Outreach
- Join our Mailing List
- Contact Us
- Research History
- Our Research Team
- Research Internships
- Current Studies
- Australia Research
- Abundance, Survival, Recruitment, and Realized Growth Rates of East Australia Humpback Whales
- Calving Rates and Intervals of East Australian Female Humpback Whales
- Connectivity and Interchange Between Humpback Whale Aggregation Areas along East Australia
- Match My Whale - a Humpback Whale Fluke Identification Project
- PWF’s Southern Hemisphere Humpback Whale Catalog
- Rate of Interchange Between East Australia and West Australia Humpback Whales
- Ecuador Research
- Hawaii Research
- Distribution and Accumulation of Marine Debris: Implications for Cetaceans
- Great Whale Count
- Hawaiian Humpback Whale Catalog
- Odontocete Distribution, Abundance, and Life Histories.
- Social Structure of False Killer Whales in Maui Four-Island Region
- Surprise Encounters with Humpback Whales
- Whale and Dolphin Tracker
- Other Projects
- Australia Research
- Donate to Help Fund our Research
- Donate Your Whale or Dolphin Photos
- Migaloo the White Humpback Whale
- You Can Help
- Become a Member / Renew Membership
- Donate Now
- Donation Specials
- Other Ways You Can Donate
- Adopt a Whale, Dolphin, Turtle or False Killer Whale
- Whale Regatta
- Maui Whale Festival Events
- Sponsor Run & Walk for the Whales
- Sponsor World Whale Day
- Made on Maui Fair Vendor Application
- Book an Eco-Cruise
- Choose PWF
- Ocean Store
Posted on: September 28, 2010
Sign Up for Fall Break Ocean Discovery Camp
It's "Fall Intersession" at Maui's public schools -- a time when kids are home and away from the classroom. For parents who want to offer their children experiences that combine "fun" with "learning" and "academic enrichment," Pacific Whale Foundation is offering its Fall Break Ocean Discovery Camp from Monday, October 4th through Friday, October 8th. The camp is for students in grades K through 5 and is based at Pacific Whale Foundation's air-conditioned Discovery Center classrooms overlooking Ma'alaea Bay.
"Our Youth Education Team has been planning a rich schedule of great activities for this five-day camp, mixing some of the favorite activities from our ten years of running Ocean Discovery Camp with some fantastic new ideas and plans," says Erica Gorman, Youth Education Director at Pacific Whale Foundation. We’ll be offering exciting ocean sports, arts and crafts, games, hands-on science demos and labs and field trips, based around daily themes."
"Ocean Discovery Camp is a great way to get kids away from the 'glowing screens,' to learn more about the ocean and science, while also meeting new and old friends — and of course, while having fun," says Gorman.
The camp themes and field trips are:
Monday: “Magnificent Marine Mammals” -- includes a visit to Maui Ocean Center.
Tuesday: “Terrific Sea Turtles” -- includes a surfing lesson.
Wednesday: “Wacky and Incredible Invertebrates” -- includes beach fun.
Thursday: “Terrific Tidepool Ecology” -- includes a tidepool exploration.
Friday: “Fabulous Fish Tales” -- includes a snorkel trip to Molokini.
Ocean Discovery Camp offers a staff to camper ratio of 1:10, so that all campers receive quality guidance during the day, including on all projects, field trips and activities. A certified Lifeguard oversees the campers during all water activities.
The camp takes place from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Late pick-up is available with advance registration. The price is $67 per day. (The price is $56 per day for Pacific Whale Foundation Members). Daily or weekly registrations are available.
Parents can register by phone, anytime from 6 am to 9:00 pm at (808) 249-8811 ext. 1 to register by phone. The reservations line is also open on weekends. (Please be sure to hit “Extension 1.")
Pacific Whale Foundation will also be offering a Winter Ocean Discovery Camp (December 20-31, 2010) and Spring Ocean Discovery Camp (March 14-18, 2011). The Summer 2011 Camp starts on May 31, 2011. Additional information about camp can be found at http://www.mauioceancamp.org/content/ocean-camp-kids-entering-grades-k-5.