- Mission & Vision
- Our Core Values
- PWF in The Media
- Board of Directors
- Social Media Outreach
- Join our Mailing List
- Contact Us
- Research History
- Our Research Team
- Research Internships
- Current Studies
- Australia Research
- Abundance, Survival, Recruitment, and Realized Growth Rates of East Australia Humpback Whales
- Calving Rates and Intervals of East Australian Female Humpback Whales
- Connectivity and Interchange Between Humpback Whale Aggregation Areas along East Australia
- Match My Whale - a Humpback Whale Fluke Identification Project
- PWF’s Southern Hemisphere Humpback Whale Catalog
- Rate of Interchange Between East Australia and West Australia Humpback Whales
- Ecuador Research
- Hawaii Research
- Distribution and Accumulation of Marine Debris: Implications for Cetaceans
- Great Whale Count
- Hawaiian Humpback Whale Catalog
- Odontocete Distribution, Abundance, and Life Histories.
- Social Structure of False Killer Whales in Maui Four-Island Region
- Surprise Encounters with Humpback Whales
- Whale and Dolphin Tracker
- Other Projects
- Australia Research
- Donate to Help Fund our Research
- Donate Your Whale or Dolphin Photos
- Migaloo the White Humpback Whale
- You Can Help
- Become a Member / Renew Membership
- Donate Now
- Donation Specials
- Other Ways You Can Donate
- Adopt a Whale, Dolphin, Turtle or False Killer Whale
- Whale Regatta
- Maui Whale Festival Events
- Sponsor Run & Walk for the Whales
- Sponsor World Whale Day
- Made on Maui Fair Vendor Application
- Book an Eco-Cruise
- Choose PWF
- Ocean Store
Posted on: June 3, 2013
PWF Offers Free Ocean Discovery Cruises in Honor of World Oceans Day
In celebration of World Oceans Day, Pacific Whale Foundation will be offering free Ocean Discovery Cruises on Sunday, June 9 for all Hawaii residents, as well as for all Pacific Whale Foundation Members, wherever they may live.
World Oceans Day is the official United Nations-designated international day of ocean celebration held on June 8 of each year. Through its free Ocean Discovery Cruises on June 9, Pacific Whale Foundation is joining thousands of educational institutions, conservation organizations and individuals in dozens of countries around the world to celebrate World Oceans Day.
Pacific Whale Foundation's free Ocean Discovery Cruises depart from Ma'alaea Harbor at 1 pm, 2 pm and 3 pm and from Lahaina Harbor at 11:30 am and 1 pm. The cruises are each one hour and take place on modern, double-deck power catamarans with many eco-friendly features. Each cruise features narration about Maui's ocean environment by Pacific Whale Foundation's Certified Marine Naturalists, plus a free Jr. Naturalist program for kids.
This year's international theme of World Oceans Day is "together we have the power to protect the ocean."
"During our free Ocean Discovery Cruises, we want to give people the opportunity to get out on a boat to enjoy the ocean and the beautiful views of Maui and the neighbor islands," says Lauren Campbell, Conservation Manager at Pacific Whale Foundation. "Most of all, we want people to be inspired by the precious ocean resource that surrounds us here in Hawaii,"
"We all love the ocean for the recreation it provides us, plus its beauty," says Campbell."The ocean also plays a major role in making life livable for all of us on earth: it generates most of the oxygen we breathe, helps feed us and regulates our climate. We need to protect it."
"The huge challenges facing the world’s ocean can be overcome if we work together; the goal is to achieve a healthy ocean that provides for the billions of humans, plants and animals which depend on it every day," she says.
Free tickets for the Ocean Discovery Cruises are available to all Hawaii residents with a valid i.d. In addition, all current Members of Pacific Whale Foundation are offered free tickets. All children ages 12 and under go free, if they are accompanied by either an adult Hawaii resident or Member of Pacific Whale Foundation.
Reservations are required for all tickets and are subject to availability. To obtain your reservation, please call Pacific Whale Foundation's offices at (808) 249-8811 ext. 1. between 6 am to 8 pm daily.
To learn more about Pacific Whale Foundation, please visit www.pacificwhale.org. To learn more about World Oceans Day, please visit www.worldoceansday.org.