- Mission & Vision
- Our Core Values
- PWF in The Media
- Board of Directors
- Social Media Outreach
- Join our Mailing List
- Contact Us
- Research History
- Our Research Team
- Research Internships
- Current Studies
- Australia Research
- Abundance, Survival, Recruitment, and Realized Growth Rates of East Australia Humpback Whales
- Calving Rates and Intervals of East Australian Female Humpback Whales
- Connectivity and Interchange Between Humpback Whale Aggregation Areas along East Australia
- Match My Whale - a Humpback Whale Fluke Identification Project
- PWF’s Southern Hemisphere Humpback Whale Catalog
- Rate of Interchange Between East Australia and West Australia Humpback Whales
- Ecuador Research
- Hawaii Research
- Distribution and Accumulation of Marine Debris: Implications for Cetaceans
- Great Whale Count
- Hawaiian Humpback Whale Catalog
- Odontocete Distribution, Abundance, and Life Histories.
- Social Structure of False Killer Whales in Maui Four-Island Region
- Surprise Encounters with Humpback Whales
- Whale and Dolphin Tracker
- Other Projects
- Australia Research
- Donate to Help Fund our Research
- Donate Your Whale or Dolphin Photos
- Migaloo the White Humpback Whale
- You Can Help
- Become a Member / Renew Membership
- Donate Now
- Donation Specials
- Other Ways You Can Donate
- Adopt a Whale, Dolphin, Turtle or False Killer Whale
- Whale Regatta
- Maui Whale Festival Events
- Sponsor Run & Walk for the Whales
- Sponsor World Whale Day
- Made on Maui Fair Vendor Application
- Book an Eco-Cruise
- Choose PWF
- Ocean Store
Posted on: December 23, 2011
New "Made in Hawaii" Specialty and Gourmet Food Store Opens in Ma'alaea
Maui Country Store, a new specialty and gourmet store featuring "Made in Hawai'i" products, has opened at the Harbor Shops at Ma'alaea.
Tucked in near the site of the former Ma'alaea Grill, the Maui Country Store is warm and inviting with floor to ceiling shelves and antique wood furnishings brimming with delicious packaged food items. Browsing in this beautifully appointed shop is the equivalent of a culinary tour of some of the most distinctive and best-loved flavors of Hawaii. You'll find luscious jams from Upcountry Maui made from lilikoi, persimmon, ohia berries, mango, pineapple and other local fruit, local honey, sugar cane sticks, Hawaiian salt, macadamia nut confections, local coffee and tea, lavender products and more.
Maui Country Store is now open from 9 am to 5 pm daily. For information, call (808) 856-8336.
Maui Country Store is operated by Pacific Whale Foundation Eco Adventures (a wholly owned subsidiary of Pacific Whale Foundation).
"The store concept supports our goal of promoting local, sustainable agriculture as a smarter choice for the environment," says Greg Kaufman, President and Founder of Pacific Whale Foundation. "We want our guests, supporters and customers to be aware of the importance of purchasing food that's grown locally rather than food that's trucked in from thousands of miles away."
"It's all part of our overall message that the choices you make on land, especially the food that you purchase, have an impact on the health of the oceans," he notes.
Last year, Pacific Whale Foundation was recognized for its work in support of local agriculture when the organization was awarded the Hero of Agriculture, Food and Environment Award; “An Environmental Supporter Who Does Their Work with Excellence” at a special reception at the 2010 Hawaii Agriculture Conference in Honolulu hosted by the Agricultural Leadership Foundation of Hawaii.
The concept for Maui Country Store grew out of watching shoppers seek out Hawaii made food specialty products at Pacific Whale Foundation’s Ocean Stores, located at the Ma’alaea Harbor Shops and at 612 Front Street in Lahaina.
"Some of the most popular items in our Ocean Stores were our 'Made in Hawaii' food products," explains Tapani Vuori, Regional Buyer at Pacific Whale Foundation. "When the property management in Ma'alaea offered us the opportunity to use the storefront that adjoins our offices for a retail business, we decided to use the new space for this popular category of food products, and so, the Maui Country Store concept was born."
Because Maui Country Store is wholly owned by Pacific Whale Foundation, all of the profits will go toward supporting Pacific Whale Foundation's research, education and conservation programs on behalf of whales, dolphins and the ocean environment.
"We offer many delicious ways to make a difference," says Vuori.
Pacific Whale Foundation Members will enjoy a 15% discount at Maui Country Store.
Pacific Whale Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting our planet's oceans through science and conservation advocacy. Pacific Whale Foundation is based in Ma'alaea, with projects in Hawai'i, Australia, Ecuador, Chile and Tonga. The organization is supported by profits from its ocean ecotours and Ocean Store -- and from Maui Country Store -- and by members and friends from around the world. To learn more, visit www.pacificwhale.org.