- Research History
- Current Studies
- Australia Research
- Abundance, Survival, Recruitment and Realized Growth Rates
- Calving Rates and Intervals of East Australian Female Humpback Whales
- Connectivity and Interchange Between Humpback Whale Aggregation Areas along East Australia
- Dynamics of extralimital feeding by humpback whales off Eden, NSW
- Match My Whale - a Humpback Whale Fluke Identification Project
- PWF’s Southern Hemisphere Humpback Whale Catalogue
- Rate of Interchange Between East Australia and West Australia Humpback Whales
- Ecuador Research
- Hawaii Research
- Other Projects
- Australia Research
- Our Research Team
- Research Internships
- Notes From The Field
- Donate to help fund our research
- Our Story
- Our Education Team
- Inside our Facility
- Educational Eco-Tours
- Education Programs
- You Can Help
- Become a Member / Renew Membership
- Ways You Can Donate
- Adopt a Whale, Dolphin or Turtle
- Whale Regatta
- Maui Whale Festival Events
- Book an Eco-Cruise
- Choose PWF
- Ocean Store
Inside our Facility
Pacific Whale Foundation's Discovery Center is located overlooking Ma'alaea Bay. The bay is home to visiting humpback whales in winter, as well as a thriving sea turtle habitat. We have also observed monk seals, dolphins and other ocean wildlife here.
Ma'alaea Harbor is just footsteps away from our Discovery Center's front door. Many of the educational programs that we offer to schoolclasses include both a visit to our Discovery Center as well as whalewatches and other at-sea field trips on our Pacific Whale Foundation vessels. Ma'alaea Harbor is also recognized as the gateway to the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary.
Our Discovery Center features two large classrooms, equipped with multi-media presentation equipment. Large paintings of marine animals "swim" across the floors. The walls are lined with counters, sinks and scientific equipment, for the many science-based learning programs offered here. The two classrooms can be opened up into one large public meeting room, where up to 120 people can gather for presentations, discussions and meetings.
The Discovery Center is also the home base for our Ocean Camp for students in grades K - 5.
The construction and operation of our Discovery Center is made possible through the generous donations of our Living Ocean Legacy Wall sponsors. To become part of this valued group of supporters, please click here.
Our Discovery Center is located off Route 30, the Hanoapiilani Highway, in Ma'alaea. Free parking is available in front of Maui Ocean Center. You'l find the Discovery Center with The Harbor Shops at Ma'alaea, on the lower level, facing the ocean. Our mailing and street address is 300 Ma'alaea Road, Suite 211, Wailuku, Hawaii, 96793. For directions, please call us at 808-249-8811.