- Mission & Vision
- Our Core Values
- PWF in The Media
- PWF News
- Board of Directors
- Social Media Outreach
- Join our Mailing List
- Contact Us
- Research History
- Our Research Team
- Research Internships
- Current Studies
- Australia Research
- Abundance, Survival, Recruitment and Realized Growth Rates
- Calving Rates and Intervals of East Australian Female Humpback Whales
- Connectivity and Interchange Between Humpback Whale Aggregation Areas along East Australia
- Match My Whale - a Humpback Whale Fluke Identification Project
- PWF’s Southern Hemisphere Humpback Whale Catalog
- Rate of Interchange Between East Australia and West Australia Humpback Whales
- Ecuador Research
- Hawaii Research
- Other Projects
- Australia Research
- Notes From The Field
- Donate to Help Fund our Research
- Donate Your Whale or Dolphin Photos
- Migaloo the White Humpback Whale
- Our Conservation Victories
- Our Conservation Team
- Action Center
- Public Testimony
- Volunteers on Vacation
- Our Story
- Our Education Team
- Education Internships
- About our Facility
- On-site Naturalist Info Stations
- Ocean Camp
- Wildlife Guides and Tips
- Exploratory Marine Science Labs
- Keiki Whalewatch Programs
- You Can Help
- Donate Now
- Become a Member / Renew Membership
- Donation Specials
- Other Ways You Can Donate
- Adopt a Whale, Dolphin or Turtle
- Whale Regatta
- Maui Whale Festival Events
- Sponsor World Whale Day
- Sponsor Run & Walk for the Whales
- Made on Maui Fair Vendor Application
- Book an Eco-Cruise
- Choose PWF
- Ocean Store
Our Commitment to Protecting Wildlife
As a boat tour operator and conservation advocate for marine life, Pacific Whale Foundation is committed to the active protection of marine mammals and their ocean habitat. We were instrumental in helping to establish the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary, the only national marine sanctuary dedicated exclusively to humpback whales. But we also do our part by:
- In January 2015, Pacific Whale Foundation earned recognition through NOAA's Dolphin SMART program. We are a proud participant of this important wildlife viewing and education program which provide guidelines for responsible dolphin watching tour operators. The goal of Dolphin SMART is to minimize the potential of wild dolphin harassment that may be caused by commercial viewing activities. Participating tour operators follow a set a responsible wildlife viewing guidelines, while also educating passengers about the importance of responsible wildlife viewing. Read our Dolphin Smart Press Release.
- Preventing vessel-whale collisions through our Be Whale Aware program, which educates and encourages boat operators to reduce their speed and reduce disturbances to whales and dolphins. Download Be Whale Aware Guidelines.
- Pacific Whale Foundation pioneered the development of the first engineered Whale Protection Devices, approved by the U.S. Coast Guard to help guide whales away from propellers and running gear on commercial vessels. They’re installed on our of our commercial whalewatching vessels.
- Locating a manufacturer of reef-safe sunscreen, and making it available for sale to our guests to protect the coral reefs where we snorkel during our Eco-Adventure cruises.
- Encouraging responsible wildlife watching in our marketing communications and outreach programs.
Help protect the wildlife you encounter on your visit to Hawaii.
Never approach a humpback whale closer than 100 yards, whether you are on a boat, swimming or on a board; it is not only dangerous, it is illegal! Do not enter the water with whales. Never attempt to touch a humpback whale.
Stay at least 10 feet back from turtles. Do not block their path as they surface to breathe. Never touch, feed or attempt to ride on a turtle.
Avoid approaching dolphins closer than 50 yards. Do not enter the water to swim with them. Never feed or attempt to touch wild dolphins.
Stay at least 150 feet away. If you encounter one in the ocean, swim away and get out of the water. Report all sightings to NOAA’s Marine Mammal hotline at 1-888-256-9840.